It is expensive to call phone numbers that start with 0870 or 0845
In the UK companies often give customer service phone numbers beginning with 0845 or 0870 when their customers need to call them. To make phone calls to these numbers is very expensive.
Calls to 084 and 087 numbers incur both an Access Charge of up to 12p per minute from landlines or up to 55p per minute from mobiles and a Service Charge of up to 7p per minute or per call for 084 numbers or up to 13p per minute or per call for 087 numbers. – This is a quote from the saynoto0870.com website.
To call these numbers cheaply or for free (depending if you have phone call minutes included on your phone contract) you can use saynoto0870.com to find alternative landline numbers or 0800 numbers for these companies.
Landline numbers are included in most mobile phone contracts so you won’t be charged extra as long as you stay in your monthly minute’s allowance. This can save you a lot of money.
Here is how to do it
1. Go to the no to 0870 website and click on the search for an alternative number link (see the picture below).
2. Search for the company you want by putting the companies number in the search box and press search (see the picture below).
3. See the alternative numbers come up on the website (I searched for Barclays bank as an example). Call the number either in the landline column or freephone column (see below).
Bingo you have saved yourself some money.
Click here to go to saynoto0870.com
Extra things to know
- Don’t buy mobile phone contracts ( yearly, monthly or minutes only) from airports in the UK. When I checked earlier this year they were much more expensive than normal shops in the UK. These airport shops know that non-British people going to the UK don’t know the true price of phone contracts and charge customers much more.
- When you call a company in the UK usually the call starts from the moment the call is answered. So if you are in a call queue, not talking to anyone you are still been charged for the call. Companies make a lot of money through this so be careful as you could be spending a lot of money even though you are just waiting.
- Some companies offer a callback service. So if you don’t want to spend time and money waiting in a phone call queue ask them to call you back. Not all companies have this, but some do and are happy to call you back. Not all companies that have this service will offer it to you, so you have to ask. If you use a companies website they may give you the have the option to order a call back from their customer service team.
- For more ways on how to save money in the UK please see my post on moneysavingexpert.com website.